Subject: Re: XFree86 4.0.* palette unfriendliness
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/2001 12:03:29
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Adam Ciarcinski wrote:

>> to them with two different chipsets (I fixed the problem in the glint
>> driver - thanks Nathan for testing it!), so I'm starting to wonder here
>> if this was a concious decision by XFree86 team.
>>
>> If we're the victims here, then do we have an official channel where we
>> can tell the XFree86 team, "Hey, guys, can you please make sure all of
>> your card drivers save and restore the VGA palette correctly?".
>
>Ken,
>
>The problem also appears on Chips and Technologies card (Toshiba laptop)
>and NVidia TNT2.  So, I think, it may not work for any other cards.

FWIW the NVidia TNT2 has the same problem with XFree86 4.0.* under
Solaris 8.  I reported it around August 2000 and was told it was fixed
shortly afterwards in CVS, but the the problem still seems to be in
4.0.2.

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |