Subject: Re: IDE Breakage in 1.5: false alarm?
To: None <>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/09/2001 00:24:20
In <> wrote:

> > > The machine I'm typing this has a P5A, and never noticed any problems other
> > > than not being able to do UDMA mode 2 with Ultra/66 or Ultra/100 drives
> > > (works fine with Ultra/33 drives).

> Yes, there's something with this chipset that causes this. I don't know what.
> I've not been able to track it down; maybe it's a silicon bug (the way the
> BIOS set it up doesn't work as well).

Do you check Linux driver for M5229 on the ALi site?

The Linux driver initialize "setup time" at register offset 0x58 or 0x5c,
but acer_setup_channel() in pciide.c does not.
The Linux driver also supports Ultra/66 on newer chips and
seems to handle many other quirks.

My CATS uses the M5229 pciide chipset and I also got UDMA errors.
I have made some patches but -current CATS kernel cannot boot because of
"panic: ubc_init: failed to map ubc_object." Sigh..
Izumi Tsutsui