Subject: Re: xterm v. xterm-old
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2001 19:28:14
Not too sure why I'm still included in this conversation, but since
you took the time to mail me... (or, rather, didn't take the time to
remove me).

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 04:20:42PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> I don't know what system you find that does this but it is incorrect:
> .Xdefaults/.Xresources (the latter is preferred) is loaded once per session
> and ONLY IFF THE DEFAULT SESSION, however it is started on your system,
> happens to call xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources.

First off "only if and only if"... huh?

Second, if you're refering to ~/.X{defaults,resources}, and if you
mean what I think you mean by "session" (that is, user logs in, same
session till he logs out, regardless of what apps are launched),
that's just not the way it works.

Changing ~/.Xdefaults and running xterm & from another xterm will
have the new one with the new version of .Xdefaults and the old one
with the old version. Period.

If I'm missing the point, I apologize. (And, btw, my original
question has been answered in full some time ago... I'd rather fade
into the background and read the thread on the list, if it's all the
same to you.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net