Subject: Re: Multiple defaultroutes
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2001 23:26:28
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >> 	yeah, if both ends are netbsd boxes, please run /usr/sbin/pppd and
> >> 	run a native IPv6 ppp.  cool!
> >Can our 'pppd' do PPP over TCP?
>
> 	i have never done that.  i was assuming that you will be running
> 	pppd for leased line/dialups...  gif(4) is much more efficient than
> 	ppp over tcp, so I recommend gif(4).

I don't think that will do the job properly -- my ISP assigns me a
10.x.x.x address and my defaultroute is a NAT. My 'external' IP address
changes over time, and since I have no way of knowing what the address is
or when it changes, I don't think gif would work properly. Also, since my
IP address changes, I need some sort of authentication and PAP does the
trick with userppp.

Jared