Subject: Re: xterm v. xterm-old
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2001 18:53:25
On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Greywolf wrote:

> # I tested it before I emailed, just to be certain that .Xdefaults is
> # loaded dynamically (I changed the font to 12x24, which is easy to test).
> # This is all I've got in my $HOME/.Xdefaults -
>
> That's strange; I just did the same thing and my xterms keep coming up
> with the default font as set up in the server.  Does this only work if
> you *don't* do the xrdb?

from X(1) (NetBSD)

       XENVIRONMENT
               Any user- and machine-specific  resources  may  be
               specified  by setting the XENVIRONMENT environment
               variable to the name of  a  resource  file  to  be
               loaded  by  all applications.  If this variable is
               not defined, a file  named  $HOME/.Xdefaults-host-
               name  is looked for instead, where hostname is the
               name of the host where the application is  execut-
               ing.

I set XENVIRONMENT to $HOME/.Xresources (in ~/.xsession), myself,
because I find the -host thing really annoying.

Frederick