Subject: Re: xterm v. xterm-old
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@herndon4.his.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2001 19:36:15
On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 04:20:42PM -0800, Greywolf wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> # On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 05:27:12PM -0500, M L Riechers wrote:
> # > > what about the .Xdefaults?
> # >
> # > The .Xdefaults files are still there, but, I believe I'm correct in
> # > stating that the only time the .Xdefaults come into play is when the X
> # > server, or xdm, or xinit starts, it dumps the contents of .Xdefaults
> # > to the X server. This, I believe, happens about one time per
> # > initiation of the X window system.
> #
> # no - unless you did something like an "xrdb -merge", the .Xdefaults
> # file is loaded dynamically for each application as it is started.
> # Equivalently, you can set $XAPPLRESDIR to point to your own app-defaults
> # directory (so you can maintain resource files individually).
>
> I don't know what system you find that does this but it is incorrect:

perhaps you don't agree with my wording - but the point is correct.

> .Xdefaults/.Xresources (the latter is preferred) is loaded once per session
> and ONLY IFF THE DEFAULT SESSION, however it is started on your system,
> happens to call xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources.

I tested it before I emailed, just to be certain that .Xdefaults is
loaded dynamically (I changed the font to 12x24, which is easy to test).
This is all I've got in my $HOME/.Xdefaults -

Seyon*modems: /dev/modem

*customization: -color

xterm*Font: 6x13
xterm*font: 6x13

I don't have a ~/.Xresources, either.  (I've been using this feature, btw
for more than ten years, so obviously you're misinterpreting my wording).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@herndon4.his.com>
http://dickey.his.com