Subject: Re: Who (still) has the integer mpg123 patch for f.e. arm32 / RiscPC
To: None <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2001 08:57:56
On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 wrote:

: > As for performance, decoding 192kbit mp3s on a 233MHz StrongARM uses
: > ~33% cpu time with (a not current version of) madplay.
: Since you mentioned performance, I'll throw in my two cents.  Using mpg123
: from pkgsrc I can listen to my mp3's and do other things like use netscape
: and compile stuff.  madplay skips even when I am doing nothing else.  I
: have an Intel p120 with 48megs of memory at the moment.

Well, a Pentium 120 doesn't quite have the processing power of a StrongARM
233 in integer operations -- but the P120 does have immensely faster
floating point, which is probably why mpg123 is so much better.

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --