Subject: Re: xterm v. xterm-old
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2001 10:12:22
> 7 Feb 2001 07:02:37 GMT, Geoff Wing sez:
> > % printf '\e[m\e[1m\e[33m\e[44mHello\e[K\e[m\n'

What results should one expect from that if everything is working
perfectly?

On a raw text console (NetBSD-1.5R/i386, wscons with WSEMUL_VT100,
TERM=wsvt25), where normal text is white on black, I print that string
and get "Hello" in yellow on blue as I would expect, but all the space
between the last printed character and the right hand edge of the screen
changes from black background to blue background.  The next line is
white on black as usual.

If I repeat the experiment with "screen" inside the wscons text console
(screen-3.9.8 from pkgsrc, TERM=screen), then I still get "Hello" in
yellow on blue, but the trailing space up to the end of line remains in
the original background colour (black), instead of changing to blue.

Similarly, in an xterm, the blue background extends all the way to the
right hand edge of the line in which "Hello" was printed; whereas with
"screen" in an xterm, the blue background appears only in the
character cells where "Hello" was written.

--apb (Alan Barrett)