Subject: Re: Who (still) has the integer mpg123 patch for f.e. arm32 / RiscPC
To: None <collver@linuxfreemail.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/2001 14:09:23
collver@linuxfreemail.com wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 02:48:06AM +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > some time ago I remember someone writing a patch to make mpg123 only use
> > integers instead of the float/double. This meant a huge performance
> > increace for the non-FP processors like the ARM[6-9,SA].
> >
> > This patch however seems to have dissapeared !!! I'm currently working on
> > porting a media player to NetBSD but would like to incorporate these
> > patches or to send the patches to the open source project that created the
> > package if the author of the package agrees with that offcource !!!
>
> I know nothing of this patch, but /usr/pkgsrc/audio/madplay uses only
> integer math and it is GPL.

... and madplay is also has _much_ higher quality audio output.
The integer patches I did to mpg123 (in our pkgsrc under
audio/mpg123/patches) have some rather nasty corner cases with some
really bad audio artifacts.  Now that madplay is available, those
patches should probably be thrown out...  Another advantage of madplay
is that it comes with a decoding library too, making intergration into
another application much easier.

As for performance, decoding 192kbit mp3s on a 233MHz StrongARM uses
~33% cpu time with (a not current version of) madplay.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/