Subject: Re: README: nawk vs. gawk
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/2001 22:10:02
My stance is that since we shipped with gawk until now, we have to
provide ~full featured replacement. This means the missing GNU awk
features need to be added to our nawk - otherwise it can't be used
as a replacement of gawk. Hopefully Kernigham would accept the
changes and add them to official distribution - I'd hate having
NetBSD-specific nawk.

There doesn't seem many GNU extensions nawk doesn't have; when
I compared the manpages, nawk doesn't have gensub(), strftime(), systime().
Some special variables and special file names are not supported in nawk.
Not really big of difference.

Oh, and there is at least one thing where I agree with Greg - I find it
utterly cool to have the 'One True Awk' in tree. It's part of our
UNIX heritage :)

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/