Subject: Can't reliably kill -1 inetd
To: None <>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2001 22:32:18
We have a problem on a couple of servers that seems to be related to inetd.
The symptoms are different but it feels to me like some common problem.

On machine A we have a problem with inetd.  After HUPping the daemon we
may lose ident service.  This has a detrimental effect on our server.
This appears to be a temporary situation and it always comes back after
2 to 5 minutes.

On machine B a kill -1 seems to cause POP to fail.  No idea if this is

We looked at PR #8253 as a possible suspect but these are not built-in
services.  Anyone else see this?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@{druid|vex}.net>   |  Democracy is three wolves                |  and a sheep voting on