Subject: Re: Problem with Gigabyte GA-6VX7B-4X Motherboard
To: Mark Davies <mark@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/2001 20:44:20
On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 04:56:23PM +1300, Mark Davies wrote:
> Hi,
>    we just got some machines with Gigabyte GA-6VX7B-4X Motherboard's and I'm
> seeing a problem with the IDE controller.  The motherboard is supposed to be
> Ultra/100 capable but NetBSD-1.5R (built yesterday) reports it as
> only Ultra/33 capable and attempts to access the disk using Ultra-DMA mode 2
> (even if Ultra/100 support isn't there yet I'd expect it to do Ultra/66)
> and seems to have problems with that falling back to Ultra-DMA mode 1.
> Any suggestions?

Is your cable an 80-wire one ?
There are different versions of the VT82C586A, with the same revision (0x06).
Guessing if it's Ultra/33, or 66 capable from the driver isn't that easy
and seem to be wrong in some cases.
But I wasn't aware of a Ultra/100 capable version. Do you know the name
of the motherboard's chipset ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>