Subject: Re: Iomega USB ZipCD-RW drive working with -current?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@MCS.VUW.AC.NZ>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/2001 22:07:40
Peter Seebach (seebs@plethora.net) says:

> Hmm.  Try a newer one; I had it "work", almost ... I was able to burn a
> CD, but not able to fixate it;

OK.  I built cdrecord 1.10a13 and it seems like I've got stuck at the same
point as Peter did :-(

Now, cdrecord seems to do pretty much the right thing as far as writing
the data is concerned, but as with Peter, fixating doesn't work
correctly.

Before it starts writing it *does* display the following error message, but
still seems to display information about the drive and the disk.

   cdrecord: Warning: controller creates hard SCSI failure when retrieving CD
   capabilities page.

I think at the same time, the following message gets syslogged:

    umass0: Phase Error, residue = 0
    cd1(umass0:1:0): unknown error category 8 from host adapter code

When cdrecord has finished writing the data the following appears:

   Fixating...
   cdrecord: Input/output error. close track/session: scsi sendcmd: fatal error
   CDB:  5B 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
   cmd finished after 20.804s timeout 480s
   Fixating time:   34.406s

Can anyone point me to a resource on the net that might help me decode what
the various scsi errors I'm getting mean.

There's also another scsi error that gets syslogged when I try to mount a CD
in the drive ...

   cd1(umass0:1:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x08 00 00 10 01 00
       SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
        ASC/ASCQ:  Invalid Command Operation Code

The mount command fails with an "Invalid argument" error.

Thanks for any more help anyone can offer.

Duncan