Subject: Re: USB mass storage really slow?
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2001 22:34:47
On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 08:04:50PM -0500, John F. Woods wrote:
> [...]
> While I'm complaining here, I observed a very curious bit of
> misbehavior:  the fictitious disklabel crafted for a Zip cartridge
> isn't consistent.  For one of two Zip cartridges, I got partitions
>
> d: 196608 0   unused
> h: 196576 32  MSDOS
>
> but the other came up with
>
> d: 196608 0   unused
> e: 194528 32  MSDOS
>
> What determines which partition it uses, and why are the sizes
> different?  The two cartridges were formatted on the same (Windows)
> system, I think.  (Considering that the contents of these two
> cartridges are the -current sources, I suppose I ought to just go look
> up the answer myself...)

I don't know for the first question but I can anserw this one: the fictitious
disklabel is generated from the DOS partition table. I've see ZIP cartridge
with a DOS partition table using either the first or the last partition
(depending on manufacturer I think). The different size also comes from here.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>