Subject: Re: uvm panic?
To: None <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/2001 10:41:04
> A today's kernel just froze during shutdown -r now, but as I was still in X,
> didn't see why..
>
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 01:23:29PM +0000, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > Just had a panic while rebooting new kernel => lost corresponding gdb file..
> > So here's a fairly useless trace (don't have correponding kernel either:( ):
> >
> > panic: uvm_fault_unwire_locked: unwiring non-wired memory
> > Stopped in pid 195 (ntpd) at cpu_Debugger+0x4: leave
> >
> > cpu_Debugger
> > panic
> > uvm_fault_unwire_locked
> > uvm_unmap_remove
> > uvm_unmap
> > uvm_deallocate
> > exit1
> > sys_exit
> > syscall_plain
> >
> > after shutdown -r now on i386 with approx 3 day old kernel.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Patrick

Just to add another datum point, I've seen this happen on arm32 as well
(my kernels are currently around about 1.5I).  I'd thought it might be
port-specific, but I guess this means otherwise.

Oh, and it only seems to happen after the machine has been up a few days.

Maybe another clue is that when I had to restart ntpd they other day
(changed configuration), it spent an inordinately long time hammering the
disks for some unknown reason -- looked a bit like it was swapping.

R.