Subject: Re: Heimdal, SSH, and my hair...
To: Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/2001 10:56:20
>Personally, I think the whole Heimdal integration was more trouble than
>it's worth.  Yes, it's integrated, but it doesn't even work with arguably
>the most widely used connectivity tool, which in a lot of ways makes it
>useless, and breaks compiling SSH w/ Krb5 support with any existing MIT
>Krb5 installation on the box.

I think that perhaps part of the reason people have been reluctant to
fully integrate ssh with Kerberos 5 is that there is no _standard_ for
doing so (there are a couple competeing ones).

FWIW, most Kerberos sites that I'm aware of use Kerberized telnet, and
the one shipped with NetBSD works just fine.

--Ken