Subject: Re: Why my life is sucking.
To: None <>
From: Christos Zoulas <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2001 23:36:42
In article <>,
Dean Huxley <> wrote:
>Manuel Bouyer <> wrote:

[explanation deleted]

>I'm not sure what is the best way to fix this.  Certainly getvol(0)
>should never be called if the input is a pipe.  Also something seems
>wrong with dump giving inodes greater than maxino.
>Any ideas, anyone?

In the old days, dump could not handle a live filesystem. Then
people at purdue added some code that would ignore inodes that were
added/removed after the dump had started leading to a consistent
dump. Some part (most?) of these changes became part of the standard
dump by 4.3BSD IIRC. Probably this is a place where things have not been
fixed. I'd say that in this case, we should ask the user if she/he
wants to stick in another tape or ignore the inode. A corresponding
flag could be added to force things one way or the other.