Subject: Re: Why my life is sucking.
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/16/2001 14:13:23
According to Herb Peyerl:

>I fail to see how that would cause only mkdir to take 17 seconds but everything
>else to operate at full-speed.

Doesn't the mkdir play with ufs metadata which, IIRC, needs to be
written _synchronously_ to disk which means that if your disk
subsystem is not fast you will lose on synchronous operations whereas
normal operations are using the buffer cache which _may_ mask a slow
disk subsystem somewhat (that was what it is for ....)

>again, unless that results in missing files that are hard-links to other
>files, I don't think that's going to solve the problem.

Just suspicious about the change volumes on pipe - to me your backup
did not complete correctly so you should not really expect a complete
backup ;-)