Subject: Re: building floppies problems
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2001 23:15:21
Thanks Brett.

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Brett Lymn wrote:
> >create ./dist/etc_obsolete: file system full
> >

> Yes, the recent change to increase the number of partitions we can
> handle has blown out the number of inodes required by the /dev
> directory.  This is a real problem.

I am trying to build a floppy disk set and a rescue disk. Do I need the
"ramdisk-big"?

Also when building why does it do INSTALL and then INSTALL_TINY? Can't I
just choose what I want built? (I don't want everything.)

Where is the description/definition/documentation for each of the
directories (other than figuring out Makefiles)?
 ramdisk-big
 ramdisk-tiny
 ramdisk-small
 kernel-ramdisk
 fdset
 fdset-laptop
 bootfloppy-big
 bootfloppy-tiny
 bootfloppy-small
 ramdisk-rescuesmall
 ramdisk-rescuetiny
 kernel-rescue
 rescue-small
 rescue-tiny

Any ideas on how can I workaround this inode problem?

> No, all linked to the same thing - note that the inode number is the
> same for every file and the link count is > 1.  There is only one
> binary file which is called ramdiskbin, most of the bins on the floppy
> are hard linked to this because it saves space.

I just realized that they were all hard links. I am beginning to see how
crunchgen works. Pretty interesting.

A related question: Do I always need to set RELEASEDIR and DESTDIR in the
environment?

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/