Subject: Re: Why my life is sucking.
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2001 20:35:33
blymn@baesystems.com.au (Brett Lymn)  wrote:
 > Interesting, I just bought a 800MHz PIII and 1 45G IDE disk.  I copied
 > about 6Gig or so off my old machine's SCSI disk using dump/restore onto the
 > new IDE disk without noticable performance problems.

there's no performance problem with dump/restore. there's a file-lossage
problem with dump/restore.  There's a performance problem with 'mkdir' on
a raid1 filesystem.

 > Silly question - you _do_ have the IDE disks on separate channels
 > don't you?  What is your performance like if you split the mirror? (I
 > know that may not be desirable but it may help to cut out some culprits)

I fail to see how that would cause only mkdir to take 17 seconds but everything
else to operate at full-speed.

 > try using the 's' option with dump, I normally do something like:
 >
 > dump 0sf 1000000 - / | (cd /mnt && restore xf - )
 >
 > may help just in case dump has gone whacko and is trying to put
 > everything into QIC150 sized chunks.

again, unless that results in missing files that are hard-links to other
files, I don't think that's going to solve the problem.