Subject: Re: Why my life is sucking.
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2001 14:02:21
On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Herb Peyerl wrote:

# The first problem came when I raid1'd the two partitions together.  Every-
# thing performs admirably except when it comes to extracting something
# like pkgsrc.tar.gz.  mkdir(2) calls consume 3500 I/O's and take 17 seconds
# to complete, most of the time:
#
# 	nlager# time mkdir foo
# 	0.0u 0.6s 0:17.72 3.8% 0+0k 3687+7io 0pf+0w
#
# I've ruled out 'bad disk' because the work is all being done on either one
# or the other of the two disks.  ie: it makes no difference.
#
# The kernel in question is a GENERIC 1.5 with the raid stuff linked in. The
# userland is also generic 1.5 from ftp.netbsd.org.
#
# I've discussed this with Greg and he has no further ideas.  He's sanity
# checked my configuration however.

Idea, forwarded by jmcneill:  Have you checked out the potential problems
with the UBC code?

# The second problem came when I installed a 10G disk and tried to duplicate
# the OS and /home onto the disk using "dump | restore".  I actually used
# "restore -i" because I wanted to exclude my massive mp3 library.

[snip.  Many files missing, much lossage...]

# Here's a transcript.  Note: /mnt is a freshly newfs'd 10G partition.

How is /mnt mounted (what opts)?
How is / mounted?

This would be consistent with a UBC problem.

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: your basement or mine?