Subject: Re: problems with Xfree 4.0.2
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/15/2001 10:22:22

Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> What's /usr/X11R6/bin/X linked to?  it's not still linked to a 3.3.x
> server?  It should be linked to XFree86.

Nope. It's linked to XFree86. I moved my entire X11R6 directory out of
the way before doing the build, to make sure I didn't have anything
old left in the mix.

Here is the contents of my host.def file:

   #define HasPerl			YES
   #define XFree86ConsoleDefines -DWSCONS_SUPPORT
   #define Freetype2Dir            /usr/local

Other than that, the only (out of the ordinary) thing I did was to
install the freetype2 library before doing the XFree build.

It seems like wscons support isn't there. (based on the fact
that "vt05" on the commandline isn't recognized).

Maybe I should try running a XFree86 binary built by someone else...

> > > 2) If I startup X using startx, it does give me the video, and the
> > >    mouse works (I'm using wsmouse), but the keyboard is completely
> > >    dead, including the hotkeys to switch to other vt's (this may be,
> > >    no *probably* is, related to the first problem).
> >

> On Monday 15 January 2001  9:42 am, Jaromír Dolecek wrote:

> > Are you sure that there is no getty running on the ttyE4 screen ?
> > It should either be not listed in /etc/ttys at all, or with
> >
> > ttyE4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   off secure

It's not listed at all. X was working fine on "vt05" before the
upgrade.

> Also check your /etc/wscons.conf that your screen4 is:
> screen  4       -       -

Yep, this is correct as well.

> One thing I did notice is that I needed to update /etc/rc.d/xdm to have the
> xdm pid file called xdm-pid not xdm.pid.  Anyone else found that?

I haven't even gotten that far yet :-(