Subject: Re: build problem - multibyte.c
To: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/2001 12:37:02
dolecek@ics.muni.cz (Jaromír Dolecek) writes:
> Not until tree is warning free. I find it highly annoying to see
> that warning all over place for tree build.

so, fix the warnings, then; don't break our make so that again it's in
the situation that it doesn't warn about a class of user makefile bugs
that every other make that i could find _does_ warn about.

The warning was made a warning, in part so that it _would_ annoy
people into fixing the problems, yet could still build the tree.  My
personal opinion is that it is an error, and should always be flagged
as such.  However, other makes simply flag it as a warning, so
precedent goes that way.

I.e., "Fix the actual bug, don't disable something that happens to
point out the bug."

I've backed out your change in rev 1.57 to make/parse.c.

cgd