Subject: rtsol problems at rc startup
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/2001 15:18:41
Hi,

Some time ago I reported problems with some network cards with DAD
(e.g. the ex0 3com cards) in that they are to slow in configuring
multicast reception to get the DAD reply. Increasing the dadcount
sysctl variable `fixes' this. However, a related problem appears at
boottime with these cards for autohost configured machines that
execute rtsol as first network related command (I mean before the
interface is `up'); it fails because the interface is not ready fast
enough to receive the router advertisement reply. The interface is not
configured with an address untill rtsold is started much later in the
boot sequence, causing many services to startup very slow etc (waiting
for nameserver timeouts and so) or fail to properly startup at all
(syslogd).

My quick but not quite elegant hack to fix this on my machines is to
change /etc/rc.d/network from executing rtsol once to executing it
twice with a sleep 1 in between. Apart from fixing the network
drivers, does any of you have a somewhat more elegant solution that
would be acceptable to include in the NetBSD-distribution to make the
startup sequence robust against this type of failure?

Feico.