Subject: Panics with softdep+nfsd
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <p@ppires.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2001 23:26:56
Hello, folks.

The system is 1.5P, with sources of 2000/12/24.  I systematically get
kernel panics (as shown below) triggered by nfsd.  Usually, this happens
when the NFS client is running Netscape Mail, during reindexing or
compacting of a message folder.

I have seen messages describing other problems with softdep causing
system panics.  Perhaps this is a related problem, or maybe this has
already been solved.  I'd appreciate your feedback.

8<------------------------
panic: softdep_write_inodeblock: direct pointer #7 mismatch 0 != 3567688

Stopped in pid 131 (nfsd) at    cpu_Debugger+0x4:       leave
db> continue
syncing disks... panic: lockmgr: locking against myself

pappires@domine:/var/crash [21]: gdb netbsd.3
GNU gdb 4.17
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386--netbsd"...(no debugging symbols
found)...
(gdb) target kcore netbsd.3.core
panic: %s: direct pointer #%d mismatch %d != %d
#0  0x104 in ?? ()
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x104 in ?? ()
#1  0xc01f5f7f in cpu_reboot ()
#2  0xc012ec25 in panic ()
#3  0xc01216fe in lockmgr ()
#4  0xc014fb20 in genfs_lock ()
#5  0xc014d60b in VOP_LOCK ()
#6  0xc014ce62 in vn_lock ()
#7  0xc0147145 in vget ()
#8  0xc01d99ac in ffs_sync ()
#9  0xc014943e in sys_sync ()
#10 0xc01484a0 in vfs_shutdown ()
#11 0xc01f5f57 in cpu_reboot ()
#12 0xc012ec25 in panic ()
#13 0xc01d56cb in initiate_write_inodeblock ()
#14 0xc01d51d6 in softdep_disk_io_initiation ()
#15 0xc0155c96 in spec_strategy ()
#16 0xc014db08 in VOP_STRATEGY ()
#17 0xc0141f14 in bwrite ()
#18 0xc01d0a54 in ffs_update ()
#19 0xc014d978 in VOP_UPDATE ()
#20 0xc01d10ac in ffs_truncate ()
#21 0xc014d936 in VOP_TRUNCATE ()
#22 0xc01dece5 in ufs_setattr ()
#23 0xc014d0cc in VOP_SETATTR ()
#24 0xc019c02d in nfsrv_setattr ()
#25 0xc01b79ff in nfssvc_nfsd ()
#26 0xc01b717b in sys_nfssvc ()
#27 0xc01fa3d1 in syscall_plain ()
#28 0xc0100ca4 in syscall1 ()
can not access 0xbfbfdce8, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
can not access 0xbfbfdce8, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
Cannot access memory at address 0xbfbfdce8.

--
        Pappires

... Qui habet aurem audiendi audiat quid Spiritus dicat ecclesiis.