Subject: Re: 1.5Q: tcpdump vs. wi0?
To: Tero Kivinen <kivinen@ssh.fi>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2001 11:29:03
In message <14931.20006.498330.524027@taulu.hel.fi.ssh.com>, you write:

-> Are you using the ad-hoc mode or the base station mode, and if you are
-> using base station mode are you pinging other machine that is also on
-> the wireless network or is it behind the base station.

I was running in infrastructure mode, and I think I was mostly pinging
machines on the fixed network behind the AP, but I'll try and double check
that (I had a lot of trouble getting going with the card and our network
at work... I would ping a machine on the fixed ether X times and then the
ping would mysteriously stop... It looked like someone was stealing my IP
address, but may have actually been the same symptom).

-> If you try to ping the another wireless node, it does not work when
-> the interface is in the promiscuous mode. The reason is that you see
-> the arp replies from the real wireless node directly that are not
-> directed to you, thus you start sending the packets directly to the
-> wireless node instead of sending them to the base station.

I'll have to give this a try and tcpdump on the remote end to see if
I get different packets when the interface is in promiscuous mode vs.
not.

Thanks for the hints!
--rafal

----