Subject: Re: NMBCLUSTERS and sysctl
To: None <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/03/2001 07:42:47
Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com> writes:

> You cannot change this w/ sysctl on a PC.  Only on platforms which use
> a direct-mapped segment for mapping the mbuf cluster pages (which the
> x86 family cannot do) can you change this with sysctl.

Since this is the case, I believe it is past time to increase the
default NMBCLUSTERS size to something close to double what it is now.

I've tried to run GENERIC on machines that I personally don't believe
are being excessive in what they do networkwise, and every one of them
sees the "increase" message within a week or so.

I think our memory parameters are a bit outdated, and it is time to
adjust them.  An awful lot of new machines have >= 128 M ram, and since
we size other things based on memory size, can we do that with
NMBCLUSTERS as well?

--Michael