Subject: Re: MAXPARTITITONS > 8 (was: Re: mbrlabel fixes)
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/2000 11:05:41
On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Peter Seebach wrote:

# It may be.
#
# >I hope I will never fragment my NetBSD storage into more than, let's
# >say 8 pieces (/, /var, /usr, /usr/src, /usr/{local,pkg}, /usr/home and
# >two more) on one disk. Likewise, I sincerely hope I will never have to
# >run more than the present 3 OSes on my laptop. And if there only was a
# >VMware for NetBSD I'd be much closer to finally ditching Lunix... ;-)
#
# 8 pieces, sure, but on, say, i386, you can only have 5.  b, c, and d are
# all spoken for.

I think you're misreading him.  What he's saying is that he'd like to have
eight available.  I'd like to be able to do that on one disk as well, since
most other platforms only have five available (root, swap, disk are taken);
i386 gets totally screwed down to four (root, swap, BSD-partition, whole
disk).  So I think you're all in agreement here!

# I typically split systems at least as far as
# 	/
# 	swap
# 	/usr
# 	/usr/src
# 	/var
# 	/usr/local
# 	/usr/pkg
# 	/home
# I can't do this on most NetBSD platforms... but it gets worse.  On a lot
# of systems, it's also useful to me to have a /usr/home distinct from /home.
#
# Then we get into stuff like "/usr/obj" (so you can leave the source tree
# alone)...

/usr/obj usually points to src/obj (from what I see).  Other than that,
though, it looks quite a bit like what I have (modulo separation of
/usr/pkg and /usr/local...).  It's good to see that someone ELSE makes
use of partitions as was intended!

# -s
				--*greywolf;
--