Subject: Re: protocol numbers
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/27/2000 14:03:35
On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> No, still 8bit in v6:

I don't mean to be confrontational about this, as I don't know
much about IPv6. However, Microsoft's documentation on this seems to
disagree.

Taken from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ipvers6.asp :

---
New Header Format

The IPv6 header has a new format that is designed to keep header overhead
to a minimum. This is achieved by moving both non-essential fields and
option fields to extension headers that are placed after the IPv6 header.
The streamlined IPv6 header provides more efficient processing at
intermediate routers.

IPv4 headers and IPv6 headers are not interoperable. A host or router must
use an implementation of both IPv4 and IPv6 in order to recognize and
process both header formats. The new IPv6 header is only twice as large as
the IPv4 header, even though IPv6 addresses are four times as large as IPv4
addresses.
---

Jared