Subject: protocol numbers
To: None <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/27/2000 01:27:49
is there any reason why /etc/protocols doesn't include more of the
protocols from

sure, some of them are a little outdated, but there are others there
that are in use but aren't listed in /etc/protocols, eg 88.  that's
eigrp according to the iana list, and i get that stuff from my isp
periodically.  dunno why...but that's not really the point.

it's only an 8 bit field, after all, so the list ought not to get too
large, unlike if we tried to exhaustively list all ports/services in

if anyone thinks listing more things is a good idea, i'll submit a pr
with a patch to bring it more or less in sync with iana's list.