Subject: Re: building for multiple archs from a read-only tree
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@norstar.com>
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/2000 07:52:05
> 	The standard "make obj" process seems to need a writable source
> 	tree in order to work.

> 	Or is using the union mount system still the best way to go to keep
> 	the source tree ABSOLUTELY clean of build related droppings?

I build sparc, sun3 and atari from a single NFS mounted src tree.  I run
`make obj` on the NFS server and also on the clients.  Because of the
different client architectures, I also need to run (for example) :

  MACHINE=atari MACHINE_ARCH=m68k make obj

in /usr/src/lib and /usr/src/sys on the server.  When directories are added
I just run `make obj` in the directory above them (on all platforms).  I
should probably write a script to parse the SUP output to do this for me.
Doing this instead of in the top-level source directory saves me several
hours on the 68k machines.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/