Subject: NetBSD vs DCE/DFS, AFS?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hans-Christian Becker <hcb@phc.chalmers.se>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/2000 17:55:49
This may be a totally ignorant question, but I'll ask it anyway:
Is there any move of NetBSD in the direction of DCE/DFS and OpenAFS?
I realize that Kerberos 5 in the system is good, but are there any
other things that should/can/are be[ing] done to make NetBSD a
candidate for distributed file systems and -computing? My university
(which is currently running AFS) has a few years ago taken a policy
to migrate from AFS to DCE/DFS, and as far as I can see, only Linux
is mentioned as fas as free platforms go. I'd love to see NetBSD (or
any other BSD) be in active development for DCE/DFS, especially since
our (i.e., the NetBSD) multi-platform code base in this case
certainly is a Good Thing. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing OpenAFS
included in the code base as well---not that I am capable of it,
though.
Best regards,
Hans-Christian
--