Subject: Re: Can't boot NetBSD CD on Thinkpad
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/2000 17:25:57
On 16 Dec 2000, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

: > If we keep having problems like these, we could move to a two-part CD boot:
: > using a 1.44MB floppy image with just the libsa booter (or the tiny boot
: > image), and a ramdisk kernel file, gzipped, on cd0a without the filesystem
: > trimmings.
:
: We'd need ISO file system support in the boot loader, but this indeed
: seems like the correct thing to do.

That's trivial to turn on.  The alpha, pmax, and vax booters already use the
cd9660 support of libsa.  8-)

: > With proper boot instructions, any number of ramdisk kernel
: > files, put in i386/binary/kernel/, could be used without the limitations of
: > a 1.44MB image or odd machines rejecting non-1.44MB images.
:
: Indeed -- we could have a number of different images available on the
: ISO image for different situations. It might be a good thing.

Right.  As a terminology clarification point for thread readers, I did say
kernel _files_ (not floppy images), so as to avoid the various problems of
different El Torito BIOS implementations.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/