Subject: Re: SUP/FTP tree of NetBSD-current/-release will switch on Dec 15
To: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/2000 16:54:21
On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 02:51:50PM -0500, jchacon@genuity.net wrote:
> The release branch for 1.5 was 6 months in length...During which time
> real bugs did creep in and/or were found as side effects and had to get fixed.

> This might work for X.Y.Z releases but the mainline releases even in good cases
> take a while to cook and a new user coming in and supping -release would
> be reasonably surprised to possibly get something labeled 1.6Alpha or something
> similiar.

I was speaking about what you get when you sup with a supfile that starts with:

release release=src  (or allsrc...)

That is independent from the 'release branch' in CVS, and is an administrative
matter on the sup server.

My understanding is that such a sup would NEVER give someone 1.6ALPHA, but
would give (in timeline order...)

1.4.1ALPHA -> 1.4.1BETA -> 1.4.2ALPHA -> 1.4.2BETA -> 1.4.3ALPHA -> 1.4.3BETA
-> 1.5.1ALPHA

This release _collection_ doesn't exist until a release occurs, and then
follows the release+patches.

							David

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,