Subject: Re: SUP/FTP tree of NetBSD-current/-release will switch on Dec 15
To: None <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/2000 16:25:33
On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 jchacon@genuity.net wrote:

: >Third time in this thread:  Sup is not meant to be used for tracking
: >explicit releases, period.  If this fact needs better _documentation_, I'm
: >quite happy to provide it.

: I guess the question is, why not?
:
: If we provide cvs access, ftp access, etc for released branches, why shouldn't
: sup also provide this in some way?

Sup is a source updating method that tracks "the latest source", not "a
static, unchanging set of files".  If source files change in a collection
managed by sup, the sup copy will get updated.

Making sup collections that point at fixed release sources are a waste of
space (you'd be better off fetching tarballs) and a maintenance problem (we
have more than just one sup server).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/