Subject: BSD Authentication
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/2000 12:22:52
I'm wondering whether or not NetBSD is interested in starting to use the
BSD Authentication code.  This is the other half of the login.conf stuff we
integrated from BSD/OS a while back.  Basically, this is an extensible
system for handling authentication, based on using standalone programs
with names like "login_passwd" or "login_skey" that live in /usr/libexec.
OpenBSD is probably adopting it (of course, with small changes).

I'd like to see this happen, especially since I'm writing an article about
it, and it'd be nice to report that a couple of systems are picking it up. :)

If there's a need for some developer time to go into it, I could probably
provide some help, and I might be able to get permission to share out a
couple of the modules that weren't released originally.

-s