Subject: Shared memory problems anyone ?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Main <imain@gtk.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/2000 18:48:15
It's seeming like every once in a while, applications that use shared memory
segments (maybe it's semaphores ?) are failing.. eg, when starting postgresql:

$ sudo sh /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/pgsql start
 pgsql
$ IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget failed (No space left on device) key=5432014, num=16, permission=600
This type of error is usually caused by an improper
shared memory or System V IPC semaphore configuration.
For more information, see the FAQ and platform-specific
FAQ's in the source directory pgsql/doc or on our
web site at http://www.postgresql.org.
FATAL 1:  InitProcGlobal: IpcSemaphoreCreate failed

And with SDL:

$ ./testgl
Couldn't initialize SDL: Couldn't create semaphore

If I reboot and try a again, it'll work fine.  (so, yes, I do have IPC
stuff built into my kernel).

I'm running a -current kernel as of about 2 weeks ago.  I'm afraid I
haven't debugged any further than this.. I'm mostly just curious if
anyone else has seen this problem, or if I'm just a freak ? :)

Thanks,

	Ian