Subject: Re: nfs sync, slow
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/2000 19:40:32
Frank van der Linden writes:

> Those v2+tcp numbers look quite impossible; you can't get that
> kind of performance out of v2, unless you're not writing to disk
> on the server. Either your file was too small or you had the
> exported filesystem -o async..

My comments might have been a little confusing.  The v2 mount
was UDP.  The TCP mount was just "mount -o -T server:/u1 /mnt" which
should have been v3 right?  My server has /u1 mounted with softdep
enabled, definitely not async.

I did test a different machine running 1.5.1_ALPHA and the TCP mount
was slower than the UDP.  So the 1.5L (UBC) kernel seems to perform
much better via TCP.  I am assuming the data makes it to the disk
on the server, but I can attempt to validate this.

-Andrew