Subject: Re: nfs sync, slow
To: James Sharp <jsharp@psychoses.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/2000 21:28:30
On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 03:43:15PM -0500, James Sharp wrote:
> I'm running into the same problems myself.  Host machine is NetBSD/i386
> 1.5_BETA, ffs + async mounting (no softdeps), running on FDDI.  Client
> machines are an assortment of NetBSD, Linux, and Irix.  They all
> exhibit the same general slow-write performance (reads are really
> fast, though).
>
> The filesystem is on a 23gb fast/wide SCSI drive.

You can't get good write performances from a Linux client with a server that
properly implements NFSv2 (I checked, Solaris doesn't perform better with
linux clients). Howver it defaults to 1k read/writes, bumping to 4k helps a lot
(no need to use more than 4k; tcpdump shows 4k transactions anyway).
A bit of tuning can be done on NetBSD, and I suspect on Irix as well.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>