Subject: Re: rumba causes processes to hang stuck in disk
To: Matthew Fredette <fredette@MIT.EDU>
From: Rick Byers <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/2000 13:27:39
On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Matthew Fredette wrote:

> > On two seperate machines (i386) I have seen that upgrading from 1.4ish to
> > 1.5 (currently 1.5_BETA) caused rumba to stop working.  (for those that
> > don't know, rumba is a SMB/NFS translator that allows mounting resources
> > shared by Windows machines).  I can mount resources fine and even navigate
> > the directories.  However attempting to read the contents of a file
> > (usually a large file) causes the process to hang.  The rumba process can
> > be killed (with SIGKILL) but the directory cannot be unmounted.  Any
> > attempt to access the directory (including unmounting) causes the process
> > to get hung (ps indicates its stuck in disk).  No amount of kill or kill -9
> > will get rid of the processes.
> >
> [..]
> I think this is the same problem I ran into when developing a
> userspace NFS daemon under 1.5_ALPHA.  libc's RPC implementation will
> not handle packets larger than 8192 bytes when fully assembled, and
> NFS read and write packets with 8k blocks of data are larger.  I bet
> rumba's read replies are never getting back to the kernel.
> I filed lib/11464 last week about __rpc_get_t_size, a function in
> lib/libc/rpc/rpc_generic.c.  It causes the 8192-byte limitation.

A friend of mine applied that patch and it fixed the problem on his
machine.  I've been meaning to try it on my own machine and append a
comment to the end of your GNAT once I verified it, but I haven't had a

Just thought I'd let you and others know that it appears to fix the
problem with rumba in the hopes that the priority of fixing your GNAT will
get increased.