Subject: Re: UBC code and performance improvements
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/2000 21:30:26
Laine Stump writes:
> I just updated to -current (from something around 1.5_BETA), built a
> kernel (after removing the existing build directory), rebooted, did
> make build of userland, rebooted again, then did another kernel
> build. I only noticed a difference of about 30 seconds 14:53 vs 15:23)
> between the first kernel build (done using 1.5_BETA) and the last one
> (using all 1.5L). Did I miss some change that I was supposed to make
> to enable UBC, or is this just not a good benchmark? (I'm using a more
> or less GENERIC kernel, btw, no setting of BUFPAGES, NBUFS or any of
> that)

How big was the bufcache on the non-UBC kernel? (e.g. how much RAM do
you have)  It probably makes more difference when the old kernel only
had a couple of MB of bufcache.  Though if you don't have very much
ram available during a compile, the UBC is perhaps able to cache much
more than non-UBC.

My PII-266 has 64MB, and my 950 Duron has 256MB.

-Andrew