Subject: External CD/HDD box to IBM ThinkPad?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@cafax.se>
List: current-users
Date: 11/29/2000 21:15:00
Hi,

I'm looking at an external box for things like CD-ROM, 2nd HDD, etc,
for my ThinkPad. The one supported by IBM (which I have on loan) is
called an "IBM Portable Drive Bay 2000" and attaches either over USB
or PCMCIA. However, neither probes correctly under 1.5K.

Here's the output from the PCMCIA probe:

pcmcia0: CIS version PCMCIA 2.0 or 2.1
pcmcia0: CIS info: PCMCIA, IDE CARD, F1
pcmcia0: Manufacturer code 0xffffffff, product 0xffffffff
pcmcia0: function 0: unspecified, ccr addr 100 mask 3
pcmcia0: function 0, config table entry 1: I/O card; irq mask deb8; iomask a, iospace 320-32f; mwait_required io16 irqlevel
pcmcia0: function 0, config table entry 2: I/O card; irq mask deb8; iomask a, iospace 340-34f; mwait_required io16 irqlevel
pcmcia0: function 0, config table entry 3: I/O card; irq mask deb8; iomask a, iospace 360-36f; mwait_required io16 irqlevel
PCMCIA, IDE CARD, F1 (manufacturer 0xffffffff, product 0xffffffff) at pcmcia0 function 0 not configured

Since there are other IDE-disk-behind-PCMCIA devices (CF-disks come to
mind) as well as eternal CD-ROMs behind PCMCIA I thought this would be
a simple operation of adding vendor and product IDs to the relevant
tables, but the IDs look suspiciously like "no vendor ID, no product
ID", which sounds bad, but apparently is quite common.

I added the following to /sys/dev/pcmcia/pcmciadevs (and re-ran
Makefile.pcmciadevs)

vendor IBMOEM                  -1      IBM OEM
product IBMOEN PCMCIAIDE       { "PCMCIA", "IDE&spCARD", "F1", NULL } IBM OEM PCMCIA IDE Adapter

and rebuilt my kernel. However, since the card still didn't match I
suspect I'm doing something wrong...

Attaching the thing via USB results in the following:

umass0: USB to IDE       USB to IDE      , rev 1.01/0.23, addr 2
umass0: using SFF8070i over BBB-P
atapibus1 at umass0 channel 0
umass0: Invalid CSW: tag 4850512 should be 42
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: Invalid CSW: tag 4850512 should be 43
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: Invalid CSW: tag 4850512 should be 44
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: Invalid CSW: tag 4850512 should be 45
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: Invalid CSW: tag 4850512 should be 46
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR

which looks a bit bad (i.e. worse than just entering stuff into a
table). But on the other hand I now zilch about USB.

Unfortunately, apart from not probing correctly, this box is rather
badly built. So I'm open to suggestions for alternatives if such
exist.

Basically I'd like an external box, attached via USB and/or PCMCIA
that can accept either a HD adapter or a CD-ROM player. Does anyone
have experience with one that works?

Regards,

Johan Ihrén