Subject: Re: HEADS UP: UBC code integrated
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/29/2000 13:49:56
Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com> writes:

> Definitely!  On my 950 Duron a make build dropped from 65 minutes to
> about 52 minutes.  A nice 20 percent improvement.
> On a PII 266, making GENERIC ran about 29.5 minutes, with UBC about 24
> minutes.  Around 18 percent improvement.
>
> So far the UBC code has been kicking butt. :-)

Speaking of performance *improvements*, what was the conclusion (if
any) of the thread awhile back concerning a performance *loss* from
1.4.x to 1.5? (something about lisp and malloc - I forget the details)
(I've also heard anecdotes from other people using NetBSD in
production who experienced similar performance problems using 1.5 in
place of 1.4.x in a cross compile environment). Are we just gaining
back part of what we (apparently) lost, or is there a bottomline
improvement from 1.4.x to -current?

At any rate, based on the reports, I guess it's time to switch my
sources from the netbsd-1-5 branch back to current ;-) (any gotchas in
the switch?)