Subject: Re: PPPOE in the kernel?
To: Rick Byers <RickB@BigScaryChildren.net>
From: William Waites <ww@AREA22.STYX.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 11/29/2000 12:39:31
> Hi,
> Has there been any thought to adding PPPOE support into the kernel?  I
> expect the userland solutions (mouse-pppoe and rp-pppoe) will work fine,
> but they seem to have a lot of unnecessary overhead (2 context switches, 2
> packet buffer copies PER packet I believe).  I think that both FreeBSD
> and Linux now have PPPOE support in the kernel.
>
> I'm willing to help out or try to implement it myself if its generaly
> believe to be a good idea.

The FreeBSD implementation uses netgraph, and though there has been some
talk about porting it to NetBSD, it hasn't been done yet. Netgraph is
definitely the way to go IMHO. It's basically networking lego implemented
in kernel space. It would make it far easier to implement 802.1Q VLANs
(though I believe this has now been done in NetBSD-current), MPLS, etc..

I'll gladly help out with a netgraph implementation. Kernel level
PPPoE will come along for free, since you could take it straight out
of FreeBSD with minimal porting once netgraph itself has been done.

-w
Minister of Research and Development \____________
Idiosyntactix Strategic Arts and Science Alliance \