Subject: Re: Where should source go?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@buzzbee.freeserve.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/2000 23:19:09
On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Thank you Mike and Todd. I'll try to compile your notes and submit a diff
> for some webpage documentation.
>
> > If you want a full checkout, nuke the sources and do "cvs co -P src".
> > That "src" name is very special and *only* useful for checkout commands;
> > it combines the different source trees into one.
>
> I removed everything from /usr/src. The wierd thing was that I had to run
> the "cvs co -P src" command four times in a row. The first three times
> it reported
>  cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or
> directory

did you actually remove the src dir as well?  if you didn't it was looking
for the CVS dir below that, and then trying the server, getting a file and
trying to update the local CVS dir.  I've had similair problems in the past
which need me to remove the actually dir as well...

> But it grabbed Makefile the first time, Makefile.inc the 2nd time and the
> third time it got the UPDATING file; the fourth time I ran it, it kept on
> working (and still downloading right now).

Hmm, be warned you might not have a /usr/src/CVS dir with stuff in for the
top level (I can't be sure though, I'm not that up on how CVS works)

Cheers,
Chris