Subject: Re: IPv6 NDP and DAD bug in 1.5?
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/2000 19:21:14
On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 02:41:54AM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> 	"server" is not seeing the neighbor solicitation packet from "drifter",
> 	and that is the very reason DAD is not working.
Yes, I agree. But did you see that the server *does* see the pings
from drifter to ff02::1:ff00:2? Wouldn't that mean that mutlicast
through the switch is ok?

> 	I guess you have either:
> 	- broken switch/hub inbetween (try putting 10Base-T cross cable)
> 	- broken ethernet card on either side
> 	- ethernet card with broken driver
> 		try using non-ex0 card on "server", or equivalent machine.
with ex0 as thief and ep0 as `server' things are ok. But at home I
first noted the problem, where ex0 is thief and ep0 is `server'. I'll
look at the latter case again later (may not have opportunity or time
for that for a few days).

Just tested the following cases (without use of tcpdump):

 thief       ==>   victim     :  result
home ex0     ==> server ex0   : successful theft
home ex0     ==> drifter tlp0 : successful theft
server ex0   ==> drifter tlp0 : successful theft
drifter tlp0 ==> runepe le0   : successful theft

already had these:
 thief       ==>   victim     :  result
drifter tlp0 ==> server ex0   : successful theft
drifter tlp0 ==> home ex0     : successful theft
test ex0     ==> laptop ep0   : unsuccessful theft (duplicate detected)
				==> on network with little cheap hub
				    (not the switch as all the above)

zila ex0     ==> ep1	      : successful theft (in my home network)
				==> on network with little cheap hub,
				    same type as: test ex0 ==> ep0

I'll see if I can test some more combos of network cards later.

Feico.