Subject: dlsym(3) is buggy
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/2000 03:03:53
(this is on NetBSD/Alpha 1.4.1 - is this fixed in 1.5??)

From the manpage:

     void *
     dlsym(void *handle, const char *symbol);

     dlsym() looks for a definition of symbol in the shared object designated
     by handle.  The symbols address is returned.  If the symbol cannot be re-
     solved, NULL is returned.

This turns out not to be true. The handle argument turns out to be
ignored. If the symbol name can be found in either the main program or an
earlier loaded object, that symbol will be returned.

This horribly breaks gnupg module loading... :-(

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder    -- Ah only did well at school
\X/ land.nl       -- tae git intae an O level class tae git away fae Begbie.