Subject: Re: macppc 1.5Beta2 Install floppy dmesg & questions
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Chris <talon16m@hotmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/2000 21:02:49
on 11/7/00 8:37 PM, Bill Studenmund at wrstuden@zembu.com wrote something
like:

<snip>
>> Odd: The NetBSD console looks like it is stuck at 640x480 even though
>> I'm running at 1024x768. It's almost like I'm working with an X-less xterm
>> with no window manager :-) Is there anyway to change this back to the 1.4.x
>> behavior of using the entire screen, or is this the way it's supposed to be
>> unless set/compiled(!) to use 132xXX mode?
>
> The same hardware worked different?

    Yes, in 1.4.[1,2] I would be using the entire 1024x768 screen with
80x25, now (in the install kernel at least) It's 80x25 in a 640x480
"window". It wasn't very pretty text, but it was full screen FWIW.

>> PLEASE fix the keyboard mapping wherever the problem is. Hitting the
>> delete key (the one that should be labeled backspace) yields a ^? and I have
>> to hit Control-H to backspace. The small square "actual" delete key doesn't
>> seem to do anything, though since the arrow key mappings don't work either,
>> it's hard to tell.
>
> This setup only happens under X. I'm not sure why, and it annoys me.
> Here's the script I use to fix things:

    I'm saying this happens with the install kernel too, at least with my
Apple ADB "AppleDesign" keyboard, which ships with a good deal of machines.
Should we be picking something other than vt100 when prompted for a terminal
setting in the install kernel by chance?

> #! /bin/sh
> xmodmap -e "keycode 59 = BackSpace"
>
>> The wdcX and wdX/cd0 lines in the dmesg mention that the controller
>> supports DMA data transfer and the drives support DMA transfer, but no where
>> does it say if it's actually using it. Can we add a line to the attachment
>> routines saying what mode(s) we are using (similar to i386)?
>
> Yep. See patch below.

    Great!

>> Halting from a shell in the install drops me back into OFW correctly,
>> but attempting to boot MacOS freezes the computer FWIW. Yes I know I should
>> just restart, but anyway :)
>
> You need to reset the machine. We don't preserve enough of OF's state for
> it to be able to pick things back up.

    I figured that was the case, thanks anyway :-)

    Chris

<snip>