Subject: Re: Random PID's
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/2000 15:30:34
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
>  > I really like OpenBSD's random PID feature, so I came up with a quick
>  > patch to -current to do (almost) the same. If anybody's interested, it's
>  > available at http://invisible.yi.org/~jmcneill/randompid-20001106.diff.gz
>
> Just out of curiosity, what in particular did you like about it?

I've seen programs use their PID to write files to /tmp before (I can't
remember any off-hand), I guess this makes things just a little bit harder
for people to exploit that. In risk of being flamed, I have to admit that
I do like some of the OpenBSD features such as this one. There isn't much
overhead, and every little bit helps I guess.

Jared