Subject: Re: ld.elf_so makes everything core dump on i386
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/2000 17:26:25
> I did a "make build" with yesterday's 1.5_BETA sources, and when it
> finished compiling everything and started installing, it crashed after
> installing the new ld.elf_so. All dynamically linked programs core dump
> with the new ld.elf_so; if I replace it with the previous version, all
> programs work fine again. I've done a "make cleandir" in ld.elf_so and
> rebuilt it, but it's still broken.

> Ideas?

This bug is known and is being investigated (it's a showstopper for
1.5); apparently ld.elf_so is just a little bit too large and
depending on exactly where you build it (there are __FILE__ strings in
the text) results in a somewhat broken GOT..

workaround:

do your build with sources in a directory with a short name (like
/usr/src) so the __FILE__ expansions aren't so long.

					- Bill